Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'M FEELING REALLY SAD TODAY

My little dog Buddy has started to have seizures again. They're not very frequent so he doesn't need to be on medication daily. But it's heartbreaking to see.

He usually just kind of "stares into space" and licks the air. And if I can get his attention it usually brings him out of it. But he's my baby and getting older, he's a Shih Tzu and about 10 years old.

I got little Buddy when I was working at an animal hospital. (the lowest paying job I've ever had but the most gratifying) The owner called one day to make an appointment to have him put to sleep which was odd because I had a lot of contact with Buddy since he came there to be groomed and they traveled a lot so he was also boarded there quite a bit. But he had bit the lady's husband and he was going down.

So when they came in I asked if I could have him and if he continued to be aggressive I would talk to the behavioral veterinarian and maybe he could help.

This poor women loved Buddy so much but her husband was a fucking ass wipe, Buddy was 5 years old then and I could believe it took him 5 years to bite him. And Buddy had bitten the fuck wipes foot and most of the time when a dog does that it's because they've been kicked. Her husband wouldn't even let her stay long enough to tell me what he liked and stuff.

So here I come home with this temperamental little dog that fucking hated me. And he was so damn cute, but he growled ALL the time. I couldn't pet him for 2 weeks after he came home with me. Anyway... we got through it all and he is a little grumpy sometimes but hey that's his thing and I leave him alone when he's in a "mood."

He's also bitten me 3 times in the face because my dumb ass kept trying to kiss him. I KNOW IT WAS STUPID!! He warned me but I didn't listen and I knew he was a biter when I got him so it was my own fault.

He's not the kind of biter that if you pet him he would ever bite but he didn't know what the fuck a kiss was. All he saw was my face in his and he didn't know know what I was going to do. And I know enough about dogs that I should not have ever attempted to kiss him. But like I said he's so fucking cute.

So it's 5 years later and he's still a little grump but he'll let me kiss him if I've been gone for a while and when I first come home. I'm such a fool.

But sometimes I wonder if he would have been better off if they had put him down, I usually can't afford to have him professionally groomed so he gets home hair cuts and sometimes looks pretty silly. But he knows what it's like to be loved now so that makes a difference doesn't it? He had his own pillow when they brought him to me but now he sleeps in the bed right next to me under the covers ever night.

And my Chow is scared to death of him, it's hilarious. They've argued a couple of times and Yogi (my big Boo Boo dog) usually comes out the worse. But they've become great buds... most of the time.

But again as usual I digress. I'm lucky I have a family member that's a retired veterinarian so I get meds cheap but I don't want him all fucked up all the time but if it gets worse he'll have to be on medication daily.

Anyway that's all for now I think I'll go and kiss my dogs. I kiss Buddy on the top of his head though. ha ha


A PETIT MAL SEIZURE, is a less severe form of seizure where the patient still has some voluntary control of movement and coordination but where certain muscle groups are doing their own thing and brain electrical activity is mildly disrupted. Staggering, momentary staring into space and other forms of incoordination may be visible to an observer.

No comments: